Pauline does not run

9.30.2007


We all know that PAULINE DOES NOT RUN, but this past weekend, I did something that everyone will probably be really surprised about. On Saturday, Justin's vet school organized the Mutt Strut that includes a 5k afterwards for humans.

A couple of months ago, Justin and I decided to start training for 5ks, but for some reason that quickly died. So, when I arrived Friday afternoon, we went for a 3 mile run in Kiesel Park (where the 5k was to take place on Saturday) to test out the trail. We thought it would be a GREAT idea to cram 8 weeks of training into one night...not such a great idea when you have a race to run the next morning--the Toowoomba Pasta from Outback didn't even come to my rescue! The next morning my legs were like jello... and bootcamp with Mommy and Daddy (aka Jayme and Andy) didn't help things either.

But nonetheless we arrived at Kiesel Park, where dogs were running wild and runners were getting ready for the race. Then there was me...

Don't I look like a runner? With my New Balance running shoes (I have to say they look pretty damn new! no pun intended but they look new because I've maybe used them once since I got them), my iPod, my spandex pants and my headband to keep my hair from getting in my face when I'm running my 5 minute miles..oops I meant to say 10 minute miles.

I definitely struggled during the race and I'm not going to make excuses about bootcamp with Mommy and Daddy or that I ran 3 miles the night before (just a note, I definitely ran 6 miles in 12 hours! I don't think I've ran 6 miles in my entire life!!), but I have to say that it felt really good to finish no matter how slow I was or that I walked some of it. I accomplished something that I (and most of you guys) thought that I would never do.


So now PAULINE DOES RUN!! I finished in about 32 minutes, which I thought was good considering I haven't ran in a month or so. Don't expect me to be running marathons any time soon, but I think these 5ks could be a regular thing in my life...hopefully. Some day maybe I can make it to the first place winner's time...16 minutes and 21 seconds. Yikes!


I just want to thank Justin for staying behind with me and walking with me even though he probably could have ran the whole time and finished earlier. Maybe next time it will be me waiting for him. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw Pauline you are so cute! You do look like a runner in all that get up. I am proud of you! It's not every day you can say you did something you never thought you'd be able to do:)

AM Ashley said...

Nice pea! I am so proud of you and super envious. Maybe one day I will get enough motivation to run, scratch that, WALK a marathon! Good for you and Kudos to Justin for walking with you. Love love love

mcgee said...

wow congratulations! that's an awesome accomplishment. i probably would've been gasping for air after the first few minutes. HA.

J. Wo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J. Wo said...

Ohhhhh so this is how you add a comment! P that is so awesome you ran that 5K. I know i'da had a side stitch cramp the first mile and then I'da been panting uncontrollably! I definitely need to get the ambition to do just like you! Awesome!!

Anonymous said...

i hate running. it's probably my least favorite thing to do. but congrats on finishing! :)

Anonymous said...

Cuz! You do look like a runner in that picture. Haha. I did a 5K run too (ages ago in college) and it was fun. I tried to keep it at as my weekend exercise but I had to wake up really early else it would be too hot to run outdoors (you know the weather here). Of course, sleep prevailed. Haha. Anyway, congrats and hope you can keep it up! :)