2008 Peachtree Road Race

7.07.2008

The Peachtree Road Race is a time-honored tradition in Atlanta that honestly I never really had any ambition to do (even though I've lived here all my life!), but since you know I'm a runner and all now, it was really exciting for me to be a part of all this. The Peachtree is a 10K starting at Lenox Mall in Buckhead and usually finishes at Piedmont Park, but this year the finish line was on Juniper Street because of the drought. So the hot topic of this year's race was the new finish and of course the shirt! Can't forget the shirt!

If you know how I am, I am a HUGE procrastinator and I was an even bigger procrastinator trying to train for the Peachtree!! Let's just say my post about wanting to keep running after the Cooper River Bridge Run...umm yea, that was probably the last time I ran. So, my training started on Monday....June 30, with a somewhat run/walk of 3 miles with Maggie and then on Wednesday I ran a mile..on the treadmill...haha! I
thought I was definitely going to die on Friday. I just pictured myself on a stretcher on my way to Piedmont Hospital and then the next day seeing myself in the hospital bed in the AJC! But, I was optimistic and told myself that if I had as much adrenaline as I did on the day of the Bridge Run, then I should be fine...hopefully...

Friday morning came around and I had to get up at 5AM to get to Matt's house at 6. The last time I got up that early was...yea, you guessed it...the Bridge Run; although this time I went to bed at 11:30 the night before instead of 2AM! Anyways, I was feeling pretty good that morning–not too nervous–and all I really wanted to achieve that day was to beat my Bridge Run
time of 1:14 and that I did! Maggie and I ran it in 1:06...probably 1:08 if we didn't cut in line (we probably started a little under .2 of a mile) at the start of the race, but it was definitely worth it because Matt didn't start running until an hour after we started running.

At the end of the race, we grabbed our coveted Peachtree shirts, which by the way I wasn't very impressed with. I grabbed this image from ajc.com. The model wasn't very impressed either! I think I will come up with a design for next year's shirt and maybe even run it under an hour, but then again I did say that I would keep running after the Bridge Run and that didn't go so well. I'm probably still on a high from finishing. I'll let you know after a couple of weeks.

0 comments: